Saturday, September 13, 2008

Metal tracks for Tiger I finally arrive!

As you all know Tiger I comes with plastic tracks out of the box. While they work fine both indoors and outdoors (especially in the snow) I have always wondered how would the tank run with metal thracks. After hearing that ToyEast has metal tracks in development I have immediately asked Steve from ToyEast to sell me a set as soon as they become available.
Well, last week they have finally arrived!

There package contains 2 threads and 4 spare links with pins. I have quickly mounted them on one of my Tigers and gave them a run. It was a blast! The tracks fit perfectly, the tension is just right.
I was a little concerned that having metal tracks on a tank with plastic wheels and derlin gears would destroy the latter. But after running for 2 full days over various obstacles I am happy to report that the tank runs just fine!

One thing I absolutely love the metal tracks for is for a lot better traction on smooth surfaces. I guess there are two reasons for that
  • metal has higher coefficient of friction
  • the whole tank is a lot heavier when equipped with metal threads.

The only word of advice I should give when running your Tiger indoors with metal tracks. Do not run it on hardwood floor - they will damage it (just like real tanks damage roads). But running on laminate is OK!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, would you please be able to tell me if each link has a pin going all the way throuhg, or are they clipped like the plastic ones. I want the metal ones because im hoping they wont fall off so easily. Also, what are they like with noise vs the plastic ones?